For our client, a large Reinsurance Company, we are looking for Data Engineer and SQL Benefit
Modeler for Longevity (Annuities) Business Line Job Spec, for a long time mission in London.
Our Client is engaged on a program of projects to create and deploy innovative, state-of-the art
platforms which comply with data protection requirements and facilitates automated administration of
single risk seriatim data. This project will support the ambition with regards to Longevity (annuities)
business administration, by populating new systems designed to replace existing
The key objectives for the specific project are:
• Populate Data transformation tools designed to automatically transform deal starting data and
ongoing client bordereau received into Client’s standard annuity datastructure.
• Code benefit models within Client’s Longevity business administration and reconciliation platform
/ data warehouse, to replicate life by life payments due to our annuitants Throughout the project
the Data Engineers shall complete the objectives observing the following guiding principles:
• Improving efficiency
• Maximizing user experience
• Decreasing residual exposure to operational risks
• Replicability / Consistency between deals
• Respect of upstream and downstream processes
• High quality coding, respecting the high standards expected by Client
• Documentation of work
We are looking to recruit two contractors to work on onboarding approximately 20 existing deals onto
the newly established systems. The contractors will liaise with the Client Managers from the business
line, as well as existing Data Engineers on other business lines.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Initially, understand the infrastructure of client’s annuity systems
• Then, on a deal by deal basis:
Understand the often-unique benefit formulae expressed (modelled) in Excel.
Analyze the format of the starting data and format of ongoing bordereau.
Using clients standard data transformation tool, populate the database for the starting life by life
details, and build mapping for bordereau data.
Using clients standard business administration and reconciliation platform (SQL based), model annuity
payments to replicate the benefit formulae expressed in Excel.
Verify models created against historic bordereau and invoices.
• Flexibility will be required to assist with other data-oriented tasks relating to the system
implementation which may arise.
• Excellent technical and analytical skills
• Creative and innovative when necessary
• Excellent communication (English) and interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail
• Motivated to share best practices and learnings
• Good team-working and collaboration skills
• Ability to work to hard milestones and deadlines
• Ability to adjust to varying or unexpected changing conditions and priorities
• 2+ years’ Data Engineering experience
• Experienced SQL user
• Good knowledge of Microsoft packages (particularly Excel/Access)
• Ability to model financial products (particularly escalating annuities)
• Strong data analysis skills
• Ability to unpick complex nested formulae from Excel
• Data transformation experience requiring coding of complex formulae
• Experience of working with large, complex and diverse datasets
• Experience of working both within a team and as a self-motivated individual
• Strong written and verbal communication (English) and comprehension
• Experience of working in life insurance/reinsurance/financial services
• Knowledge and understanding of UK annuity products
Consultant: Romain Mottier