Azure Data Platform Tech Lead & Solutions Architect
Next Ventures are currently executing a search for an Azure Data Platform Tech Lead with in depth knowledge of Azure Datawarehouse.
Microsoft SQL Server or Azure Synapse expert knowledge is mandatory. (or its predecessor Azure Datawarehouse)
Duration? 6 months + extensions depending on performance and new projects.
This is a remote role initially with onsite expected at some point.
- How much remote working will be achievable?
- During Covid times, full remote work.
- Once the company and government decides onsite presence is safe, to be determined.
- Priorities of the project for the next 12 months.. so an extension is definitely possible
The person’s mission will be setting up the foundations for Azure Synapse for our clients platform.
The candidate needs to be expert on Azure Synapse or on its previous generation (named Azure Datawarehouse). Alternatively, we could consider candidates without experience on these two technologies, but with a very strong track record on managing SQL Servers implementations for datawarehouses with very large volumes of data.
The ideal applicant will be based in Belgium and able to work on site. Not essential , but must be an EU national and fully willing and able to work on site as soon as is allowed due top Government guidelines.
The role will be a combination of on site and also remote working but essentially this role would suit someone that is in Belgium and can travel to the client site unrestricted.
The Data Insights & Analytics CoE designs, configures, implements and operates a multi-country Data Lake-based Azure Data Platform for Business Intelligence, Analytics, Data Science and Data Hub use cases, enabling strategic capabilities on the Retail, Marketing, Financial areas, Supply Chain and E-commerce business domains.The role will be based at our clients Center of Excellence (CoE) Data Insights & Analytics, reporting to the IT Domain Lead . The role is responsible for the delivery of regional solutions to our clients’ brands.
The position is based in Brussels and will require traveling (Europe) up to 30% depending on the platform roadmap and always that the current context allows for.
As a Technical Lead on the Azure Data & Analytics CoE, your role will cover the following :
- Chair and Lead the domain’s Design Authority.
- Design the platform foundations together with the other Design Authority architects and tech experts.
- Write down, together with other Design Authority members, the platform enablers specifications for Scrum Teams to implement them.
- Design the evolving cloud platform blueprint and its tech roadmap.
- Represent technology and be the voice of Design Authority towards stakeholders and other stakeholder groups.
- Technically lead the design and implementation strategy of the platform.
- Review the Feature High Level Solution Design and System designs.
- Define the Solution Intent and development principles and standards for Scrum Teams.
- Act as a technical SME for Business Intelligence and Data warehousing design and implementation principles.
Tasks and responsibilities
Detailed responsibilities and accountabilities include:
- Designs and consolidates data management practices jointly with solution architects: Literacy, Data Modelling, Democracy, Ingestion, Metadata management, Quality, Protection, etc.
- Enforces that all D&A features are delivered following defined guidelines, standards and policies.
- Defines the necessary platform enablers for the platform roadmap as per business objectives.
- Reviews and documents any deviations from the data management guidelines.
- Gathering, building, and documenting both a technical and functional knowledge and understanding of the platform’s data and processes.
- Drive the technical architecture and data modelling strategy, ensuring a consistent implementation across all value streams.
- Makes sure that data management practices are followed by solution architects and the development teams.
- Agile activities:
- Define a data management acceptance criteria.
- Review data management for feature and user stories (as part of definition of ready).
- Attends review sessions and assess data management acceptance criteria.
- Contribute to the Program sessions to align tech roadmap to business roadmap with the Product Manager.
- Accountable for an updated data dictionary, data catalog, data lineage and ERD diagrams.
- Accountable for technical capacity and availability planning of the platform: Computing capacity, storage growth, data retention, platform uptime, etc.
- Ensure operations team is Fine-tuning/Monitoring (performance, operation, usage, cost) of components such as:
- Azure SQL Server databases
- Azure Server Analysis Services
- Azure DataLake
- Azure DataBricks clusters
- Microsoft PowerBI
- Ensures the elaboration of Root Cause Analysis, contributes to them, and reviews its corrective and preventive actions.
Education and training
- University Degree in Computer sciences or any other discipline of technical orientation
- Proficient working knowledge on design and implementation of Data Platforms solutions on the Azure Cloud with DataLake, SQL server and PowerBI technologies as its core components.
- Solid track record implementing and operating relational (traditional) Datawarehouse platforms on technologies such as Oracle, SQL Server, Azure DW/Synapse, Teradata…
- Clearly demonstrate expertise on structured data management.
- Clearly demonstrate expertise on ETL/ELT processes design and productionisation.
- Experience in fine-tuning queries and data transformation processes.
- Experience leading technical senior teams.
Considered a plus
- Solid track record designing and implementing an Enterprise Data warehouse from scratch.
- Experience with retail, marketing, supply chain and finance.
- Working knowledge on data science development lifecycle.
- Any of the following certifications:
- Agile/SAFe certifications.
- Azure Data Engineer or AWS/GCP equivalent.
- Azure Administrator or AWS/GCP equivalent.
- Azure Solutions Architect or AWS/GCP equivalent.
- Certified Data Management Professional (DAMA).
Excellent communicator and a public speaker: Communicate effectively at all levels, technical, business, management and executive.
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Stress-resistant, flexible, reliable and have a true hands-on mentality
- Must be results oriented; demonstrates a “can-do” attitude – adaptability, flexibility and resourcefulness.
- Team player; involves others, shares knowledge and seeks opportunities for cross functional working and collaboration
- Affinity with multicultural environments and ability to navigate international organizations.
- Eagerness to learn new bleeding-edge technologies and enjoy challenges that stimulate your personal evolution.
- Azure Data Lake or AWS/GCP equivalent.
- Azure Data Factory or AWS/GCP equivalent.
- Microsoft SQL Server or Azure DW or Azure Synapse or AWS/GCP equivalent.
- Databricks or equivalent.
- Experience with Master (or Reference) Data Management practices and design of interfaces such as APIs.
- Multidimensional modelling.
- ERD diagramming for conceptual and logical solution designs.
- Ability to define and write Project Start Architecture documents.
- Advanced level of T-SQL language.
- ITIL working experience (change, release, incident, problem management and service request)
Considered a plus
- Microsoft PowerBI
- Azure DevOps
- Azure AKS/Kubernetes
- Python, C#, PowerShell.
- Advanced level of T-SQL query optimization: execution plans and statistics.
- Knowledge of POS/Retail architecture solutions.
- Experience with SAP Retail and/or Campaign Management Systems data models.
- Data Vault Modelling Methodology.
- Azure Administration.
- Excellent command of the English language both written & spoken.
- Optional knowledge of French and/or Dutch and/or Greek and/or Romanian and/or Serbian will be considered an asset.
- The Center of Excellence (CoE) Data Insights & Analytics is responsible for the delivery of regional solutions to our great local brands.
- The Data Insights & Analytics CoE designs, configures, implements and operates a multi-country DataLake-based Azure Data Platform for Business Intelligence, Analytics, Data Science and Data Hub use cases, enabling strategic capabilities on the Retail, Marketing, Financial areas, Supply Chain and E-commerce business domains.
- The position is based in Brussels and will require traveling (Europe) up to 30% depending on the platform roadmap and always that the current context allows for.
More information is available on application.
CV in Word format on all occasions pls.